This forum is preserved as a permanent archive. The community continues at eMedia Press.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stan Meyer's VIC UNICORE setup

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    VIC output calcs.

    I've been looking through the SMTB to help shed some light on how to calculate how to wind a VIC to get the desired voltage output. For instance,

    If your GP has a capacitance of let's say 0.1 uF, you have a 12V supply, your target frequency is 50 KHz, and you want a voltage output of say 50 KV.
    How do you calculate the size of your Primary, Secondary, choke 1, and choke 2?

    H20, Your posts say that Primary, Secondary, choke 1, and choke 2 are all to be wound bifilarly with matching inductances. The part that i'm struggling with is that the inductances all affect each other (step charging). Is there a set method of calculating with these parameter to give you the desired output V? I know wire size as well as coil spacing factors into this as well.

    Could you post a step by step example problem to illistrate how to properly calculate and ultimately design a VIC? Or site the formulas that I need clarity on?

    Comment


    • #17
      Hi Natone_M,
      I use this calculator Cylindrical Coil Inductor Design Equations Formulas Calculator Inductance
      Originally posted by natone_m View Post
      I've been looking through the SMTB to help shed some light on how to calculate how to wind a VIC to get the desired voltage output. For instance,

      If your GP has a capacitance of let's say 0.1 uF, you have a 12V supply, your target frequency is 50 KHz, and you want a voltage output of say 50 KV.
      How do you calculate the size of your Primary, Secondary, choke 1, and choke 2?

      H20, Your posts say that Primary, Secondary, choke 1, and choke 2 are all to be wound bifilarly with matching inductances. The part that i'm struggling with is that the inductances all affect each other (step charging). Is there a set method of calculating with these parameter to give you the desired output V? I know wire size as well as coil spacing factors into this as well.

      Could you post a step by step example problem to illistrate how to properly calculate and ultimately design a VIC? Or site the formulas that I need clarity on?

      Comment


      • #18
        Calculating Voltage Output

        H20,

        I think I understand how you are calculating the inductance of the coils which is a crutial part for the resonance. What i was wondering is how the you calculate your desired output voltage going to the GP. When winding normal run-of-the-mill transformers thats easy. You just calculate your turn ratio along with wire size changes and core permeability ect. With the VIC its not a typical transformer, correct? It has the whole step charge thing, voltage potential building off the mutual inductances. Correct?

        With your secondary and chokes all wound bifilarly, how do you calculate your step up turn ratios to hit a target output voltage? Am I making sense or am I confused? Please set me straight.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by natone_m View Post
          H20,

          I think I understand how you are calculating the inductance of the coils which is a crutial part for the resonance. What i was wondering is how the you calculate your desired output voltage going to the GP. When winding normal run-of-the-mill transformers thats easy. You just calculate your turn ratio along with wire size changes and core permeability ect. With the VIC its not a typical transformer, correct? It has the whole step charge thing, voltage potential building off the mutual inductances. Correct?

          With your secondary and chokes all wound bifilarly, how do you calculate your step up turn ratios to hit a target output voltage? Am I making sense or am I confused? Please set me straight.
          You would have to caculate the capacitive reactance of a single bobbin space of each of the 3, secondary and 2 chokes, coils to find the answer to that question. Once the capacitive reactance of the bobbin cavities are known one can make the calculations for the ramp up effect at a given primary voltage input. I don't have the capability to make such a measurement on the individual bobbin spaces so I have to make my calculations after the transformer is built. The insterment needed to calculate the capacitance of a wire loop or bobbin space is very costly, but don't take my word for it, look it up for yourself. So I back engineer the math to get the capacitance of the individual bobbin spaces. In essence I make them in the blind so-to-speak not knowing what power supply will be needed to get the transformers to reach the voltages I am wanting from them. But I do know that you have to get the coil's crossectional area to be as square as possible to get the maxium capacitance and the space between bobbin spaces minimized.

          Hope that helps, I know it's not the best answer but it's the best I could give,


          h2opower.

          Comment

          Working...
          X