congrads!
Glad you got it working!
A few things for the efficiency is that you want as weak as magnets as possible but strong enough to just induce enough to trigger the base and also you want as much resistance at the base as possible while still letting the minimum through just to trigger the base.
The magnets you have look like the radio shack ones with the hole in the middle? Probably fine. Before you added more winds, it might have been possible to get it to run if you double stacked those magnets (with the fewer winds).
When you replace the resistor to 680, if it seems like it is difficult to get started, you can just double stack the magnets.
Anyway, post your results...looking forward to it. Also, you might see that when it gets going, it will speed up and start drawing up to the 1/4 amp you see, then it might start speeding up even more and the input might start dropping backwards. Kind of like shifting into higher gear but input drops.
I'll post a video of my roller skate wheel video...has about 600 turns. That is the very first one I ever did and it got me hooked! LOL
Glad you got it working!

A few things for the efficiency is that you want as weak as magnets as possible but strong enough to just induce enough to trigger the base and also you want as much resistance at the base as possible while still letting the minimum through just to trigger the base.
The magnets you have look like the radio shack ones with the hole in the middle? Probably fine. Before you added more winds, it might have been possible to get it to run if you double stacked those magnets (with the fewer winds).
When you replace the resistor to 680, if it seems like it is difficult to get started, you can just double stack the magnets.
Anyway, post your results...looking forward to it. Also, you might see that when it gets going, it will speed up and start drawing up to the 1/4 amp you see, then it might start speeding up even more and the input might start dropping backwards. Kind of like shifting into higher gear but input drops.
I'll post a video of my roller skate wheel video...has about 600 turns. That is the very first one I ever did and it got me hooked! LOL

It might be better to advise using the 680 ohm first and fall back on the 10 ohm only as a last resort, since it seems to cause some serious coil heating.
So I unhooked the battery and let it run down and decided to try again. This time it didn't spin up as fast and I couldn't get the coil as close to the rotor as before (definitely makes a difference in RPM!), so I shut it down again and found one side of one of the magnets had come loose. Apparently the glue I used doesn't bond well to ceramic magnets.
So I got out the epoxy and glued it back down and tonight I gave a demonstration to my lovely wife (who doesn't know what to make of this stuff 
I have a feeling it would have gone even faster and then the amps would probably settle back down. I'll have to get a box to put it into and just let it go as fast as it wants and see what happens. 
Over my time of tuning I did quite a few times! Even though it is low amperage, 170-220 volts is quite a zap. 



I've been reduced to fabricating my own spools from PVC pipe and other odd pieces of scrap and scratching my head trying to figure out how to keep flanges of the spools from falling off once too many turns are on it.
I mean, we're talking mV/mA range here on the trigger side. At any rate, I'm off to get some beefier resistors so I don't have to worry about them burning up.
(/me smacks forehead)
Comment